lunedì 20 luglio 2009

What I believe - J. G. Ballard

I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.
I believe in my own obsessions, in the beauty of car crash, in the peace of the submerged forest, in the excitements of the deserted holiday beach, in the elegance of automobile graveyards, in the mystery of multistorey car parks, in the poetry of abandoned hotels.
I believe in the forgotten runways of Wake Island, pointing toward the Pacifics of our imaginations.
I libri principali dello scrittore sono: La mostra delle atrocità, probabilmente il suo capolavoro, dopo tre anni pubblica Crash in cui riprende i temi del romanzo precedente e dal quale è stato tratto un film per la regia di David Cronenberg. Abbandonato il tema della fantascienza scrive il romanzo L'impero del sole dalla forte componente autobiografica. Il suo ultimo romanzo è Regno a venire (Kingdom Come), una opera di critica sociale dove parla di consumismo, della società tardo capitalistica, dei mass media.